Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 3: To Rincon

The plan was to take a bus to a train (metro) to a publico (multi-person taxi-van) to a taxi. But in the morning the owner of the hostel was there, and he knew a man who ran a publico to Mayaguez. So he called him to pick me up between 9.30 and 10.15 (aka 10.45) and he took me to Aguadilla, stopping for lunch along the way. In Aguadilla I could have waited for another publico, but for a little bit more I got a taxi (since we were only two towns away.) It was an ancient Chevy Caprice... no AC, refinished in poorly-stitched vinyl, including the floor, all of it fastened down with mismatched screws. The glove box was repaired with ducttape that had then been painted to match everything else. Needless to say, I thought it was great.

Which brings me to the cars of the island.... I've never seen such a mismatch. I saw very nice cars, including a GTR, something I've never seen in the wild before. (For a moment I mistook it for a 350z with too much work done.) I also saw some very bizarre cars. C4 Corvette with Testarossa door panels? VW van chopped into a pickup truck? Completely slammed and riced out VW new-Beetle? Check, check, and check. I even saw a Tiburon!

After getting to the hostel (I found it via gps+kindle the same time he found it by asking pedestrians... even if you show a taxi driver an address and he says "Yeah, I know where that is." it doesn't mean he knows where that is.) I browsed the online listings and found two promising rentals... Emails are out now, so wish me luck. Then I went to the grocery store and finished by heading to the beach to read until sunset. The green flash is a lie.

Then I went to a bar with some germans and tried/failed not to laugh when a guy sang Pink's Raise Your Glass.


2 comments: