Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 16: Adios Puerto Rio


Today I got up, packed up (with the exception of my cell charger ((the nice thing about losing things is my suitcase packs easier)) ), and caught a taxi to the airport. I relish being able to walk into an airport and asking for any flight out of the state. I found a flight to St Croix late in the afternoon, so I spent the day lounging around watching planes, watching TV on my laptop, and reading. Really not a bad way to spend a day, though my butt was sore by the end of it... which probably had as much to do with my day biking as my day reading.

The plane was a 21 seater (7 rows of 1+2), which makes it the largest I've been on since I got to San Juan. We took off really quick too, I was a little surprised when the pilots didn't go straight to full power when we got to the runway, and were adjusting things and preparing notes as we dawdled along, but then they pinned the throttle (both of them did it... Any ideas on that Pepper?) and we were took off so fast we could have used a parking lot with no problems.

The flight was quick - 25 minutes - and was almost a tour of Vieques as well. I saw Mosquito Pier (which looked shorter than it felt), the road I used to cross the island (which looked flatter than it felt), and even the exact rocks I read on yesterday (more comfortable than they felt). Initial impressions: It looks like a cleaner Puerto Rico, they have oil refineries. I love oil refineries. And just because they don't speak Spanish doesn't mean they speak English.

Had a nice dinner and a glass of the least-white white zin I've ever seen at the hotel Ray decided I should visit, and finally got some good internets.


2 comments:

  1. I think -- and forgive me if I'm wrong -- but I think you don't know the difference between Zinfandel and White Zinfandel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't, but the menu and my mouth said "White Zin", so I don't think that was the problem in this case.

    ReplyDelete