Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 19: Brice Skips the Country


,Today I found someone even less comfortable with me not knowing where I'm staying than my mom is: Customs agents. I got up early (enough to get the continental breakfast*), and caught a "Fast Ferry" (30ish knots?) to Tortola, one of the British Virgin Islands.

I think I like the British Virgin Islands, even though they speak an even more eclectic mix of languages. The plants are even nicer here, and the fact that it was cloudy all afternoon made it beautiful out. I checked in to a hotel recommended to me by a cabby, wandered most of Road Town, and had a late lunch*. After reading a while on the shore of the bay (and watching dozen types of fish that had congregated where the stream drained into the harbor). I wandered up the shore line, out of Road Town.

Since it's Easter, most everything is closed, but I still got to see a few neat-looking hotel complexes and the (somewhat depressing) swim-with-dolphins center. Eventually I got to the sea, where you can see several other members of the BVI. If you ever look at it on a map, it's amazing how many there are. After reading on the shoreline I decided to go find dinner*, and found the oldest restaurant on the Island, built on the ruins of a fort taken over by the English from the Dutch in 1666. Good lasanga, and a good view of the harbor.

Then I went for a swim in the somewhat-dirty (cabbies always know the cheapest hotels), showered off the pool-water, and decided to crash for the night.



*Look Ray, 3 meals! For the first time this vacation, but still, I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment