Saturday, May 21, 2011

PR2: Day 1: "Eventually" means 3 weeks.

I never said where I was going back to, did I?

I woke up @ 4.45 in order to be on the road by 5. The goal was to be at the gate an hour early for my 7.30 flight, and I was stalled by only two things. 1: My mom appeared in the kitchen like a ghost when I turned my back, and 2: The dulles exit isn't labeled. It's on the "Upcoming exits" sign, but when you get there it just says as anything but "Exit 45." I blame construction - even Damascus merits labels on its exits... After I got to the gate at 6:22. So after a few u-turns, parking, security, and a mad-dash to my gate, I missed the boarding cut-off by 2 minutes (in my imaginary hour-ahead game. You know, to keep things interesting).

The flight to ATL was fine, I read Cut in it's entirity, finishing as we taxi'd to the gate. The flight to SJU was, after an initial delay from the take-off-queue, quite similar. I read almost all of Go Ask Alice, interrupted by a rather uncomfortable nap. I think I was supposed to learn how terrible drugs are, but my main take away was GIRLS ARE CRAZY. Srsly.

SJ i sthe same as it always was. Cabbies still don't know where the hostel is (but by now I recognize the way), the hostel has a number of the same people in it, and great breezes criss-cross El Morro. This time, though, the wind had shifted, so I had to move to the other side of the point for my RiNaEP. So I watched jet-ski'ers and dolphins instead of boogie-boarders.

For dinner I almost ate at the same Italian place as my last two visits, but last night's ravioli encouraged me to get something different, so I walked the 2 miles to Condado, where I had "blackened" (meaning generically spicy. I've had blacker tuna-melts. Which is perhaps more a reflection of my oven-skills than anything) Mahi-Mahi and flirted with a waitress from Clarksburg (a town ten minutes from my house.)

Since I'd already walked 45 minutes, I was only 20 minutes from my hostel! So I spent my cab fair on ice-cream and walked. Fantastic idea, everyone should try it at one point or another.


1 comment: