Thursday, January 11, 2024

Hawaii 7 - To Kauai!


Today was another travel day, so this should be quick.

The Hawaii [Big-Island] airport was much more chill and friendly than Maui, but hot and sweaty, which was only exacerbated by masks and sickness. Mom found a cool bracelet to give her church-friend as a gift, it donates to turtle-saving and gives you a code to track "your" turtle! And it comes in her favorite color (Turquoise), so I'm definitely getting her one for Christmas. It seems obvious, so maybe all of us will.... Which would be funny, so I'm not warning any of them. [Post-Christmas update: She loves it, and only got one!]

Hawaii-Honolulu was a quick flight. I was all ready to film a timelapse, but as soon as we accelerated down the runway my phone fell out of the window, under the chair, and slid all the way to the back of the plane. Which means I missed the epic shot of us rising through the clouds where only the volcanos peaked through. Trying and failing is how you learn though, so... progress!?   The highpoint of the flight was flying over Maui (again!), where we spotted turtle bay, Molokini, and what Dad and I both independently decided was our snorkeling boat!

Honolulu-Kauai was an even shorter flight. Just over 20 minutes in the air, a great SouthWest crew, and a foolproof filming solution for my timelapse! The safety-card fits perfectly in the window grooves, so I built a little nest for my camera, dialed in the angle, adjusted the timelapse rate, and made sure to lock the focus so I won't get closeups of window condensation.  I even picked a seat with two windows, one for the phone and one for me. What could go wrong? Well... My phone could overheat and shut down mid-flight. I failed learned something yet again.

In Kauai we picked up our new minivan, so here's my review of the 2019 Dodge Caravan: Don't. It's worse than the Chrysler Voyager in every way: the gauge cluster, the gps, the anemic v6, and the lumbar support which supports your kidneys so well they yearn to meet your sternum. [Update: Held down the "deflate lumbar" button while violently assaulting the seatback and it's much more comfortable. Still not a good van].

Our airBNB is super cute though. Second row off the water, no AC but plenty of fans and windows, and cute shore/whale vibes throughout. I read and hibernated on the porch, and tried to befriend the feral cat (she let me pick her up!)  Unfortunately, we think my dad my have caught the covid, so he spent this time napping while Adam/Dani ran out to the store for food, and then cooked up chicken Caesar for dinner! It was delicious and I didn't slip any chicken to the cat even though I really wanted to. We finished eating five minutes before sunset, so we cleaned up real quick and ran across the street to the beach for sunset (and I snuck the cat a scrap of chicken).


Sunset was gorgeous, and the beach was full of people waiting for it. My parents both witnessed the mythical green flash (Until now I literally assumed it was a myth). I was personally distracted from watching a legend in real life because I walked a few yards up the beach for a better view and almost stepped on a sea turtle! (Which would be a federal crime, lol). I was super afraid it was sick and dying, because it didn't move and only winked at me. Once.


Post sunset we all came over to look at the turtle, and he lifted his head up slightly.... so I feel a bit better? We all went back to the house where I did some research, and in Hawaii (and only in Hawaii), sea turtles will just sleep on the beach. So -  assuming it's not there dead in the morning - that was a super awesome experience. If it's dead I'll delete my pics, RIP bro.

Now: journaling, reading, and a pointless phone game.


No comments:

Post a Comment