Wednesday, November 4, 2015

China: Arrival

After a 5 hour flight, a 12 hour flight, and losing 12 more hours along the way, I landed in Hong Kong. Slightly overwhelmed, I took it all one step at a time. Step one: Find my suitcase. Step two: Find my way through customs. Thankfully the airport signs and customs staff spoke English, so I had two quick successes! Next challenge: Find my driver. Well, here's someone with my company name scribbled onto a piece of paper, we'll have to assume he's the driver, since we don't speak each other's language.

I followed him to a van, and we set off across Hong Kong. It looked cool from what I could see from the back seat, I'll have to go back there again some day.  Mostly, amazing bridges and tower cranes everywhere.

We transferred into China and contined to Huizhou, where I'd be spending my first week. Highway driving in China, condensed into a witticism: Why do you need turn signals, horns, middle fingers, or headlights? You have High Beams!

The trucks did have sweet lights on the back (sometimes instead of tail lights): red and blue strobes, or my favorite was a grid of multicolor LEDs that each faded through different colors. I spent the next two weeks looking for a store that sold them with no success... I can't even find a supplier in the states. So, of course, I now have quote requests out, and am doing my best to become the American distributor of "Colorful Warning Light".


Got in to the (beautiful) hotel around midnight, met my host for the week, found out we had a 5:30am start time, and headed to bed.


Pausing briefly to shoot a blurry picture of the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment