Wednesday, August 29, 2012

PR3a: Puerto Rico by Hilton

My most recent trip to Puerto Rico highlighted the two different sides of the Island. I began the trip traveling with relatives of mine from the States who were visiting the island seen by tourists.  We started in the San Juan Hilton. It's magnificent, with restaurants, bars, and a private beach (with water warmer than most of the pools I've been in). Speaking of pools, it has plenty of them too. It was beautiful. We stayed in a suite that had this for a view:




From the lobby, you walked past the parrot that would swear at you, past the ballroom, and through the private garden, and over the koi pond across the bridge guarded by peacocks. It's ridiculous and wonderful.  We spent the day enjoying the facilities while some family from the island visited us.



We then crossed the island to Ponce to visit other family members, again staying in a Hilton. Still ridiculous with a private beach, fountains, and even a speedboat hung over one of the bars. Business contacts got us bumped up to the "executive tower," and our view was somewhat less decadent than previously:



I know, right? How disappointing. And only egrets instead of peacocks? Psh. Still, being an executive had it's perks. A private lounge that had breakfast every morning and happy hour every evening. They only had rum, but I still mixed myself a drink on the general principle that is free alcohol. For free.

We caught up with people, learning just how tall my cousin has got and how much she looks like her father. We went for an afternoon stroll, where a roaming pooch followed us and chased part of the tennis court I tossed off to the edge of the pavement.  The girls thought this was adorable. I thought it was less so, calling it "fetch with stray dogs and asphalt."

That night we had a late dinner down by the bar, where they were using bags of salt as impromptu sand bags in anticipation of the incoming tropical storm.   After the mosquito spayers drove by us kids decided it was time for a swim in the pool, away from the - and I quote - "SlutWater" of the hot tub.

Concerned by the incoming weather, my gringo relatives flew home, and I went to pick up my rental car... which wasn't ready yet. But then the rental agent said the magic words every man wants to hear. Even sweeter than "My hot Swedish supermodel twin and I think you're cute" is the phrase "...but we could offer you a free upgrade to a Mustang."

1 comment: